Your latest novel, ‘Fluke’s Cradle’, has been available for a few months. How’s it going?
The
book is somewhat experimental. On that basis, it’s really doing fine, even
though, to be honest, it could do with a few more positive reviews and, of course, sales; that said, it's become a favourite among some of my regular readers. It’s
the kind of novel I felt very comfortable writing.
Can
you tell me more about the book and what inspired you to write it?
I’ve told the story in parallel with things I’ve experienced in my life. Things that I witnessed during my upbringing and adolescent years. Again, those things I observe even now on a day-to-day basis. The thought of writing really does set my imagination on fire. It’s now the whole reason I write.
The book itself tells the story of middle-aged Eddie Noble, who must come to terms with his demons. Eddie had
always wondered who his father was. His mother had died shortly after
childbirth, and those shielding him from life’s future challenges were not
always forthcoming with any answers. Following a mysterious medical episode
whilst searching for his mother’s grave, Eddie becomes increasingly convinced
he is the person he was in a previous life. He then undergoes an enforced
period of regression therapy to aid his rehabilitation. Enter Marianne Borg, a beautiful psychic medium, Nathaniel
Bream, a quirky psychiatric paranormal research specialist, and Professor
Allan, a mental health scientist who is interested in Eddie’s
plight.
What made you want to become an author?
Initially, I had considered myself a poet since I was a teenager. Pretentious? Maybe! During those halcyon days of the 1970s, everyone I knew from my generation craved an identity.
Poetry was my identity. You know, “Mal, the poet.” – “That guy over there, he’s
a poet. He writes poems.” One problem with that, I never liked anyone reading
my stuff! Later, I became aware that my poetry needed more substance. It
was supposed to be the voice of my inner self. Eventually, something happened; maybe it was confidence. Certainly improvement. The first pieces of verse were published in anthologies, then small press
magazines and newspapers until the internet became a major platform to showcase my work. Earlier, in the 1980s, I won three Young Poet
awards. It was such a thrill to know people were starting to appreciate my
writing during that time.
So what made you decide to self-publish your first novel, 'The Asylum Soul?'
I never, ever thought I’d write a full-blown novel. I’d gone through
most of my life without reading too much by other authors. I guess I was lazy.
I always liked the idea of dipping into a book of poems by one of the top contemporary British poets. Seamus Heaney, Jeremy Robson, Tony Harrison and the Liverpool poets all spring to mind. I could just read a few lines that didn’t even reach the side of the page, let alone the bottom
of it.
In 2014, the concept of my debut novel, ‘The Asylum Soul’ came to me. After the first few pages were written, there was no looking back. Before I knew it, I had inadvertently written a 330-page historical fiction novel. Since then, I’ve been absolutely hooked on storytelling.
Have
you any more novels in the pipeline?
Yes, a sixth novel, ‘The Story of Virna Babineaux’, should be
published in the Spring. I am working on the final chapters before the editing process begins. I always get a special buzz at this stage, knowing
that it’s not going to be too long before the book is available to the public.
What
advice would you offer aspiring authors who are thinking of
self-publishing?
Try and write what you know. It helps. Be true to yourself. Be ambitious, but always try to keep your feet on the ground. Success will come!
Interview by Sally Roast 03 01 2023
Courtesy: Independent Authors Online



No comments:
Post a Comment