Whilst I was in the final stages of preparing my third novel, An Invisible Nemesis, for publication, something terrible happened in Malta. Investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was killed in a car bomb attack.
The incident, which occurred on 16 October 2017, bore a startling resemblance to the storyline in my new book. One of my key characters, Suzanne Camilerri, also a Maltese journalist, suffered a similar fate: By pure coincidence, she was assassinated in a car bombing on Malta's sister island, Gozo. It took me quite a while to process the enormity of what had happened.
My manuscript was already at the editing stage, and I found myself in a very awkward position. Should I publish or not? In the end, I decided to release the book in June 2019, but not before I attended a memorial for Daphne in London to pay my respects.
Daphne's murder is a story I have followed ever since...
On Tuesday, 01 September 2026, the Maltese businessman, who was on trial for the murder of Daphne, was controversially acquitted.
Yorgen Fenech, 44, was accused of complicity in her murder and of criminal association to commit murder. He denied all the charges.
In 2022, brothers George and Alfred Degiorgio were jailed for 40 years over the killing of Caruana Galizia, an outspoken critic of the government who had uncovered networks of corruption in Malta and abroad. The Daphne Caruana Galizia Story BBC


No comments:
Post a Comment